Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Hitting the (soon-to-be) floor running

Yesterday, In-Service finally began at my school, meaning everyone at the high school is preparing for students. Actually, we began yesterday at Harrison Middle School listening to pep talks and instructions. (The folding chairs said “HARRISON” on the back, but the one in front of mine had been scratched off to read “PRISON.”) The highlight was definitely the silent speech given by the superintendant, who simply let us read each Powerpoint. A memorable quote: “Talk is cheap. The Romans didn’t build an empire by talking…okay, so they did it by slaughtering their opponents, but still…”

The teachers had to learn their way around the school just like me. (We went on a scavenger hunt, where staff filled our “goody bags” with planners, dry erase markers, first aid kits, etc.) It’s been closed all summer as massive renovations near completion. They’re thrilled about their sparkling new rooms and upgraded technology. With about half the building open, they’ve been teaching out of boxes the last few years. There’s still a long way to go – exposed drywall, unlaid tile, stepladders, and floor-waxing machines are the norm. Several sections won’t be finished until January, so some teachers have temporary room assignments. But it’s already a huge improvement, they say.

Unpacking boxes and hanging posters has helped me connect with my mentor teachers, especially Mr. Hindman in German. Originally, I expected to work with both teachers for half the day all semester. Now, it looks like I’ll be with him for 8 weeks, then switch to Mrs. Frye in French. But she’s already given me her #1 Advice for New Teachers: “Do what you want until someone yells at you.” Words to live by. Until then, I think I’m going to love teaching with Mr. Hindman. He’s infectiously enthusiastic and full of cool ideas. I just need to adjust to his schedule: he arrives between 5:45 and 6 daily, so I’ll need to leave my house by 5:30. Students arrive Monday, but I’m not nervous yet…there’s much to be done in the meantime.

1 comment:

Anya said...

ooh.. sounds like your trip to your new school went well! i'm very excited for you :) have fun and i can't wait to hear more about your new teaching time.