Friday, January 2, 2009

Leaving pieces

“She left pieces of her life wherever she went. It’s easier to feel the sunlight without them, she said.”

2008 saw me leaving pieces left and right: 3 countries, 5 cities, countless new acquaintances and friends. It’s been a good year, challenging me to grow in many ways. I’m hoping next year holds a bit more stability and fewer uprootings, but I’m glad to say I’ve found myself fondly missing each place I leave. Except for one: I never dreamed of returning to State College once I finished my classes, but I’m now teaching German at their high school through June.

I’ve been negligent about recording my student teaching experiences in Pittsburgh. My time in German was incredibly rewarding and helpful, and teaching French also stretched me and improved me a lot. My mentors couldn’t be more different from one another; sometimes that made me groan, while other times I had to laugh, but overall it meant that I gained double the wisdom and double the examples of dedicated teachers. Jackie was also as supportive as could be, helping me think through many a challenge. December 5 arrived rapidly, and I bid a regretful farewell to the students and faculty who had shaped my real-world education. As my first high school, Baldwin will always hold a special place in my heart, I think.

Three days later, I timidly entered State College High School with my best “real teacher” impression. I’ve decided that student teaching is to long-term substituting what babysitting is to foster care. I’m not the first teacher for these students, but suddenly I make the rules, and I’m accountable for students actually learning something. The short story for my position? The regular teacher is in Germany pursuing a master’s degree, and the sub hired for this year quit after several weeks. Since then, a number of people have filled in for a few weeks each. Everyone’s looking forward to some consistency.

My teaching schedule is mercifully light: I only have five classes per day, of which two are German II, two are German IV, and one is AP German. But my three planning periods seem to vanish daily between technology orientations, asking various teachers for help, and trying to get organized. Hopefully soon I’ll use my time more efficiently as I get settled, because planning for three different courses demands a lot of preparation! Things seem to be going well so far, although my jitters are hard to shake each morning. State College is considered a “bubble,” and Penn State is omnipresent for my students, between their parents’ employment at the university, the college courses many are already taking, and the assumption that all will one day attend PSU. My students overall seem very bright, and many seem eager to “finally do something” in German class. (The rest will soon get used to the idea.) Other faculty have been extremely supportive, and I already feel attached to everyone.

Having taught for two weeks before Christmas, I’m heading back this weekend and buckling down for the next six months. I’m excited for it, but hoping to avoid burnout from my perfectionist tendencies. My housemates should help me take a break from lesson planning: I’m moving into the K-House, a community of mostly Christian students who do a lot of sweet, crazy and fun things together. I know several of them well already, and I’m looking forward to further developing friendships there.

4 comments:

Dana Ray said...

I am SO EXCITED that you will be in State College this next semester! We need to do some more discussing of Sara Groves. I got some of her cds for Christmas and I can't get enough of it, particularly "Conversations". And that's wonderful that you can live in the K house! I can't think of a better place. Can I come hang out there sometime?

Chelsea said...

Of course, dear! There's kind of an open-door policy at the K-House, and "Conversations" is very discussion-worthy. Please come visit!

Rachel said...

Hey, now that you're living next door, we'll have to hang out sometime. I'm really glad you'll be around, even though I know you'll be busy. It seems like all the rest of my friends left either last year or after last semester. I'll call you sometime.

Chelsea said...

That'd be fantastic.