Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Belonging, Part 5: Informational Genre

This project actually contains four genres - visual, creative, essay, and informational - but I decided not to post the creative genre on my blog.  It's a short story inspired by true events and people I care about, and it's not really my story to tell.  I shared it with my class, but I don't want to risk someone seeing it who knows the real people involved.

The informational genre could entail a book review, trivia game, survey, etc.  I shared my survey with Logos students in grades 7-12.  38 students responded.

Survey Requirements: Create a survey of at least five questions.  Give it to ten or more people.  Display the results in an easy-to-read format.






What were some reasons you felt that way?  (free response – top answers)
  • I was left out. (6 responses)
  • I felt out of place and different from others. (5 responses)
  • I was with strangers/people I didn’t know well. (3 responses)
  • People treated me badly. (3 responses)
  • I was depressed/sad.  (2 responses)
  • I had problems with friends. (2 responses)
  • I felt lonely. (2 responses)
  • I felt unwanted. (2 responses)
  • I felt disconnected. (2 responses)







Sometimes students reached out in creative ways…
  • I cheered for the B Team and tried to remind them that the B games also mattered.
  • I bought them cakes and wrote them letters.
  • There was a kind of new girl in my community; I introduced her to people and places.
  • I try to point out unique strengths that they have.  When students have trouble finding others to work with, I work to ensure that they are included in a group. 
But often it didn’t need to be complicated.
  • I saw that they were alone so I want over there and talked to them for a while.
  • I try to spend time with other people and not stay in a little bubble. As a result, I tend to wander around different groups - even the ones that don't feel like they belong.
  • I just try to smile and be friendly.
  • When I see someone who is alone or looks sad, I go talk to them. I make sure they are okay.
Sometimes the results of reaching out were negative or unclear…
  • I did try. The result was that they never knew that I was helping them, and so when I'm not with them they talk behind my back.
  • I like to talk to everyone including the people that no one talks to. It kind of works.
  • I tried to talk to them, but I don't know if it helped any.
But usually they turned out positive.
  • Someone I know has had trouble fitting in and had a little bit of teasing from her classmates. So, whenever I see her I usually scream her name and act like it has been forever and then hug her. We talk and hang out a bit. I really love her and she is awesome. As a result, she is more talkative with me and is comfortable.
  • I've talked a lot more to this person and treat him not like a new acquaintance, but I treat him like he is one of my brothers. He's becoming much more open and he doesn't look as uncomfortable around us.
  • There was a girl who doesn't go to a church. She came to Cambodia about a few months ago. She went to our church meeting and had fun. We welcomed her and we had so much fun. I think she really liked it, too. :D
  • I think I did cheer my friend up a bit. :-) I'm happy with the result, and I want to continue doing it...
  • When someone was all alone, I went over to them and just talked. We had a great time. I think they appreciated being accepted. Afterwards, they were happy, and that made me feel happy. :)
  • I sat and talked with people who look lonely, trying to point out their gifts and encourage them, praying for them, talking to other students to encourage them to reach out to them. It seems like a few of them are coming out of their shell, and are a little happier, more confident.
  • I sat and talked with people who look lonely, trying to point out their gifts and encourage them, praying for them, talking to other students to encourage them to reach out to them. It seems like a few of them are coming out of their shell, and are a little happier, more confident.

No comments: