Friday, February 26, 2010

Hanging out, Logos-style





The last post focused on ways that Bible Camp stretched us, but there was so much about camp that was just plain fun! First and foremost, it was so nice to be around students in a non-teaching context. At school, there are a million logistical details to consider all the time: Have I made all my copies? Who was absent last class and owes me homework? Do we have time to finish this activity today? Do students know this word? At Bible camp, I supervised students, but I didn’t have to plan or explain almost anything. In fact, since the upperclassmen were returning, they explained a lot to me. Participating alongside them and hanging out with them was so refreshing. Same with them: my often-stressed students had no homework, tests to study for, or other responsibilities to pull them away from time with the group. They needed that!

Secondly, I got to see more about how they like to hang out. I learned several new games from them, including Ninjas (freezing in poses and trying to hit others), The Stupid Game (I was terrible!), and a name game from Korea (difficult but really fun). All the Korean guys loved playing a form of extreme rock-paper-scissors that I found disturbing, but apparently it’s very popular in Korea. I imported Dutch Blitz, which a few of them already enjoyed, and Four on a Couch. I’d heard that Asian games often involve punishment, but I’d never seen it until this week: every game had some aspect of mocking or hitting anyone who lost or messed up. The chance to do this to teachers was eagerly seized! The skits highlighted their suave dance moves and sense of humor; my stomach hurt from laughing.

Thirdly, we got to create many new memories. Our cabin – art teacher Erin and ten girls and I - had “Bonding Time” every night. It wasn’t scheduled, but Erin suggested it and it became a big hit. The things we did weren’t revolutionary: eat candy, make up goofy stories, give backrubs. But it was so special to a lot of us. I realized that although these girls are around each other often at school, and although they get tons of teaching from the Bible, there aren’t many opportunities for structured girls-only time. The girls’ Bible studies that I was part of from middle school through college were huge in my development as a Christian and as an individual. I was so glad to be able to recreate that for a few days.

Fourthly, I got to talk with many of the students more than ever before. Hearing stories about them growing up, their hopes and fears, their families, and their perspective on life in Cambodia was really meaningful to me. And seeing how they interact outside the classroom – with older and younger grades, with siblings, with teammates in challenging activities – revealed a lot to me about who they are. Out of the 75 students who went, I teach about 50 (plus about 50 middle schoolers who stayed home). That’s a lot of individuals…a lot of stories…a lot of opinions…a lot of challenges faced and life lived. I’ve learned so much this year about them, and yet I’m barely scratching the surface. A week of relationship-building was a really special thing for me.

No comments: