Saturday, February 24, 2018

Disney for scribbles


Picture a little girl who gives her dad a drawing. “Do you like it?” she asks sweetly. “I spent forever on it.”

“Oh, I love it, honey! Let’s hang it up right here.”

"Is it good?

"It's wonderful!"

Her voice takes on a triumphant tone. “Well then, what will you give me for it?”

“What?!?”

“I’m giving up this wonderful picture that belongs to me. It’s a big sacrifice. What will you give me for it?”

The dad thinks, Hmm. Besides the snacks I fed you as you drew? Besides the clothes you’re wearing? Besides the paper and crayons you used for your drawing? Besides the house on whose walls we’re hanging it? Besides my love and support since before you were even born? You really believe you can put me in your debt?

He kneels to look her in the eye. “A trip to Disney World, sweetie. Let’s go to Disney.”

*********

Last night in Bible study, we discussed Matthew 19. Jesus urges the rich young ruler to gain heavenly treasure by selling all his possessions and following Jesus. As the young man walks away gloomily, Peter asks Jesus, “We’ve left everything to follow You… what will we get for it?”

Yup, Peter, you left behind your fishing nets. Your ragged, smelly fishing nets. What a sacrifice. And your big mouth has been such a great help so far.

But Jesus doesn’t mock him or cut him down to size. Instead, he replies with promises:

You get a throne in my kingdom.

You get a hundred times what you left behind – houses, family, lands.

You get eternal life.

This passage reveals two big truths: Those who belong to Jesus don’t get to hold anything back... and we will NEVER get ripped off when we give Him our all. 

The past couple months, God’s been revealing all my expectations for life in Cambodia. I left behind so much in America – don’t You owe me great ministry, relationships, health, etc?

He doesn’t. He doesn’t owe me a thing. And yet what He’s guaranteed me is so. much. better. than anything I could ever give up here. I can freely give Him my time and energy, knowing He’ll treasure my tiny gifts like that tender-hearted dad, and that just as He always has, He’ll continue to multiply them and overwhelm me with blessings.

And that’s why today, I’ve enjoyed total joy and peace all day long, just basking in that knowledge…




Oh wait, false. I was actually cranky and irritable for large chunks of today. I fell for some really old lies about what I need and whether I can trust God to provide for me. I sensed Him prompting me to come and talk with Him about it, and I resisted for hours because I didn’t think I could spare the time. Who was it that pointed out the irony in us not making time for the Maker of time?

I’m glad that even when I ignore them, His promises hold true.

I’m glad that He treasures our paltry sacrifices, even though all we have and give comes from Him. 

I’m glad that He’s patient when I keep demanding assurances He's already provided. 

Like the dad who promises Disney in return for some crayon scribbles on a page, God’s lavish generosity seems foolish and wasted on ungrateful, distracted, demanding me. But one thing's for sure: Anything I can give back to Him is anything but a foolish waste. 

No comments: