Saturday, June 28, 2008

How I Know I’m American #1: The Dress Code

While in Austria and Germany, I’m really enjoying the chance to blend in with the crowd. In France, I always felt a little too tall, too blonde, and too not French. And I expect to stick out even more in future travels abroad, since I’m hoping to be around non-Caucasians. Here, not only are my hair color and height somewhat typical, but I even have multiple outfits that look similar to what I’ve seen other people wear. Amazing!

On the other hand, I’ve noticed a difference in the social norms surrounding clothing. One minor difference is the tendency to take off shoes indoors. On my first day at the Montessori school, they asked if I’d brought Hausschuhe (literally “house shoes”) with me to school. (It’s not a house, I wanted to retort. And no, my slippers are in the US.) I ended up going around in my socks, like most of the kids. This is apparently common at public schools too.

I noticed when the kids were about to play sports, they would change into shorts right in the hallway, in front of everyone. This is normal in German-speaking culture: the theory is that your underwear is no more revealing than a swimsuit, so it’s not a big deal. People also change into their swimsuits outdoors sometimes. It doesn’t really bother me, though I wouldn’t do so unless I really had to. But what does get to me, reminding me I’m not from here, is the nudity on the beaches.

It was pretty hard to avoid during the boat trip on Sunday. The German students even commented on it: “That’s so German! Why is it always the older and heavier people who feel the need to strip?” It was true: among those over 40 on the riverbanks, about half were nude, versus maybe 10% of younger beachgoers. Apparently you don’t have to pretend not to see them – my friends still waved and called hello to them. At first I just tried to avert my eyes, not really wanting the view. But later, it began to irritate me, because they were in the way of the photos I wanted to take. I’m glad you feel comfortable in your birthday suit, but I don’t think it improves the scenery... At one point, 2 people from my group (out of 17) briefly ditched their clothes, and I was glad that I hadn’t ever talked to them, because I felt pretty awkward about it.

Every culture defines modesty a little bit differently. Despite Germans’ laid-back attitudes toward covering up at the beach, nobody here wears the short shorts that are typical among young American girls. On my way home, I passed a Muslim woman wearing long sleeves and a flowing skirt despite the 80+ temperature. For an instant, I was indignant. It seemed unfair that such extreme modesty was required of her. Then I realized…maybe she can’t imagine wearing my T-shirt and capris any more than I can imagine joining the skinny dippers. I resolved to let her make her own decision about the clothing that’s comfortable for her. And to be thankful that she’s wearing clothes at all!

No comments: